24 replies to this topic

#16 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

It's like someone trying to shove food down your throat.  Some people try to shove religion down your throat, and that rarely works.  I suspect she'll find out about that eventually, or flutter around clueless, bestowing misdeeds on innocent people who could benefit from a chaplain.

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Em314

Em314

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

Hmm...I think I figured out the quote thing. lol... And, you are absolutely right! This is a national training program called CPE -- Clinical Pastoral Education -- and believe me they're all about getting you to look at your own issues and work on how that could impact your ability to provide pastoral care. If the supervisor hasn't already noted down this woman's food pushing she will after I bring it up in the group session next week.

This woman has other issues that have come out during the time we've met, so I'm not surprised by this. She's only in her first unit though (we need four units, plus 1,000 more hours after the completion of the 4th unit, before we can apply for certification) so she'll learn as she goes along.

(oh, and I did make my chocolate cake last night. yummm) B)

I may or may not be alone in this, but I'm kind of curious to know how it goes when you bring it up.

There are quite a few reaosns people "food-push;" some are cultural, some are nurturing, but sometimes also much less benign.  In the latter case, people with their own food issues will try to drag others down so they're "not the only one."  Sort of the way heavy drinkers feel especially uncomfortable around teetotallers even if the teetotallers aren't making an issue of it- the heavy drinkers feel like their alcohol use is spotlighted/feel judged/etc., and may push everyone around them to drink so they don't feel "like an alcoholic" (or some variant of that sentiment) by contrast.  (And yes, I've seen this happen- with food, and with booze.)

Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

#18 Luv2teach

Luv2teach

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

My mom has a good analogy for people who just don't get it and say "a little bit won't hurt you though." she says, "it's just like if someone has a peanut allergy, it doesn't matter if they have one peanut or a handful, it still does the same damage and they would have a bad reaction. Celiac is the same, just a little bit is just as bad as eating a whole
Bowl of pasta." now, yes we know celiac isn't an allergy but it still gets the point across as most people can understand the peanut thing. :)

#19 Coryad

Coryad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Ugh some people  :angry:  I had something similar happen recently.... working lunch, they ordered a huge salad (for me and the vegetarians) it was SWIMMING in croutons!!! So the meeting organizer starts picking the croutons out and making me a plate LOL (I could see crouton pieces all over the plate)  She said "oh one or two won't hurt you"....  Luckily I had brought my back-up stash of food, but honestly  :blink:

Cory

Diagnosed Celiac 4/12 due to DH
Eliminated food molds 1/12

#20 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Ugh some people  :angry:  I had something similar happen recently.... working lunch, they ordered a huge salad (for me and the vegetarians) it was SWIMMING in croutons!!! So the meeting organizer starts picking the croutons out and making me a plate LOL (I could see crouton pieces all over the plate)  She said "oh one or two won't hurt you"....  Luckily I had brought my back-up stash of food, but honestly  :blink:

I would absolutely, without hesitation, look them in the eye, and with full sincerity, ask "With what scientific evidence do you make that statement?"

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#21 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

I just got off the phone with a friend who asked me if I was still doing "that gluten thing"??  Me:  I don't have any choice.  She:  Not even a little bit??? :rolleyes:   Come off it, Lesley, I've been gluten free for five years!!!!  Where you been?

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#22 troykm

troykm

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

My mom has a good analogy for people who just don't get it and say "a little bit won't hurt you though." she says, "it's just like if someone has a peanut allergy, it doesn't matter if they have one peanut or a handful, it still does the same damage and they would have a bad reaction. Celiac is the same, just a little bit is just as bad as eating a whole
Bowl of pasta." now, yes we know celiac isn't an allergy but it still gets the point across as most people can understand the peanut thing. :)

I use the peanut allergy thing now too. I tell people take celiac as seriously as you would a peanut allergy. I know that its not quite the same but at least they "get it" after that. 

#23 troykm

troykm

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

I may or may not be alone in this, but I'm kind of curious to know how it goes when you bring it up.

There are quite a few reaosns people "food-push;" some are cultural, some are nurturing, but sometimes also much less benign.  In the latter case, people with their own food issues will try to drag others down so they're "not the only one."  Sort of the way heavy drinkers feel especially uncomfortable around teetotallers even if the teetotallers aren't making an issue of it- the heavy drinkers feel like their alcohol use is spotlighted/feel judged/etc., and may push everyone around them to drink so they don't feel "like an alcoholic" (or some variant of that sentiment) by contrast.  (And yes, I've seen this happen- with food, and with booze.)

I have this issue at work. Over the last 2 years i have lost a lot of weight. (not celiac related, i chose to loose it)

Because people at work only ever saw me fat, they dont realise that normal weight for me is quite thin, but because they are all overweight i now get waves of "oh your too thin" "you look ill" "are you sick?" And i want to punch them all out LOL

#24 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

I know this is seriously off topic, sorry a lot.

I had the same thing  happen at work too!  Co-workers harped constantly about me being too thin! Yada yada.

I finally went to the biggest gossip (and one of the most overweight) people in the office in confidence.  I told her I was sick of people commenting about me being underweight. 

"When I had a fat A..., nobody said a word.  Don't tell anyone, but it's really bothering me that everybody picks on me now that I've lost weight."

Honestly, that worked like majic overnight.  Poof!

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Title of the  topic thread caught my eye and I have to tell you guys my GI doc told me last week that he heard from his patient that a 

doc around here gave a presentation to a local celiac group and concluded with the comment that "it's okay to cheat once and a while because the diet is too stringent and a little bit won't hurt."

I said  Holy crap, that's grounds for malpractice if you ask me! He could not have agreed more.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: