Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten And Coffee

8 posts in this topic

I read on numerous sites that those who are gluten sensative or celiac ,a small % have bad reactions to coffee? Does this hold any truth or is it caffeine versus gluten that doesn't match??

Ads by Google:

If someone has thydroid trouble, coffee will react with their meds making them ineffective. I don't know if they will bother the thyroid directly, even if you aren't on meds but have undiagnosed thyroid trouble, but I know a friend of mine who couldn't tolerate coffee even before she went on meds.

I tell you this because a lot of celiacs have problems with their thyroids, so if coffee bothers you, maybe (MAYBE) that is why.

I couldn't tolerate coffee for awhile after going gluten-free. It aggravated my gut. I now enjoy coffee, but only 1/2 - 1 mug a day vs. the 2-4 mugs daily I used to be addicted to. Green tea was an okay substitute for awhile.

I think it varies from person to person.

Yeah this gluten free thing is freaking me out.Ive lost so much weight it's ridiculousness

I'm NGCI and I have never had a problem with coffee ever (thankfully!). I've quit all caffeine a couple of times for a few weeks in order to try and improve insomnia and this seems to have no effect on GI stuff at all whatsoever (for me anyway)...

If someone has thydroid trouble, coffee will react with their meds making them ineffective. I don't know if they will bother the thyroid directly, even if you aren't on meds but have undiagnosed thyroid trouble, but I know a friend of mine who couldn't tolerate coffee even before she went on meds.

I tell you this because a lot of celiacs have problems with their thyroids, so if coffee bothers you, maybe (MAYBE) that is why.

I don't think the idea that coffee will interact with thyroid meds and make them ineffective is true, Bart. I have had Hashi's for years and take my thyroid hormone with coffee every morning and I am doing fine. Thyroid numbers are good too, I just had them tested and I have no symptoms of thyroid disease.

Coffee is perfectly safe for Celiacs to drink, unless they are still in the healing stage and coffee bothers their gut. Most can usually go back to drinking it after they have been gluten-free for awhile.There has also been a lot of nonsense about cross-reactivity with coffee and it's just that...nonsense.

You do have to be careful to purchase 100% plain coffee and not blends with other stuff thrown in. Some countries in Europe serve a coffee that has added grain to it....I believe it's barley. My friend from Czech said this was true and you always believe a Czech chick! ;)

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroiddrugstreatments/a/Coffee-Espresso-Thyroid-Medication-Levothyroxine.htm

The articles I have read say it doesn't interfere with synthroid, but it does with this other med. A friend of mine has Hashi's, and her doctor warned her about coffee.

What's weird is that levothyroxine is synthetic T4, yet it doesn't affect Synthroid? That's what Synthroid is......levothyroxine. Have I misunderstood?

The difference might be that I take Nature-throid, which includes T3. In order to properly absorb Nature-throid and some other natural thyroid meds, you have to chew them a bit and break them up. They are formulated with cellulose and you need to break that down a bit for proper absorption. I only have to wait a half hour before eating anything but apparently, from my experience, the coffee is not affecting things at all.

Tell your friend to switch to Nature-throid...works much better for those with Hashi's! ;) Or at least a T3/T4 combo. Interesting article.......thanks for posting!