1 reply to this topic

#1 Sputnik

Sputnik

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hello, my name is Nick, and I was recently diagnosed with an intolerance to wheat gluten. Ingesting even the slightest bit of wheat gluten makes my stomach inflame, and my gag reflex is on a hair trigger for at least a couple hours thereafter. Changing my diet has actually been surprisingly easy, and I transitioned without missing a beat, really. Except for one issue; when I was diagnosed, I was in the process of phasing out conventional Western animal protein in lieu of insect protein. So, I was eating a lot of crickets, mealworms, waxworms, etc. After contacting my suppliers, I discovered that all of my insects are raised on oats and wheat, so I can no longer eat insects that are raised on such a diet, because unlike eating beef or chicken, when you eat a bug you eat everything, including it's stomach contents and what it was eating. So, I was curious to know if there's anyone on here who is like me, and knows where gluten-free raised insects can be purchased in North America, dead or alive. Short of raising them myself, I'm running out of ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Nick

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

I'm thinking you may well have to raise them yourself. Although most insects are naturally herbivorous, they would grow much quicker on grains and I don't think their culture has been much affected by the gluten free movement. It would be easier if you lived in Asia, Africa, South America or The Netherlands, or even the interior of Australia.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: celiac, gluten free, insects, entomophagy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: