24 replies to this topic

#16 keeponsingin

keeponsingin

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Kelp? Like seaweed?? I can't do that...I've had bad experiences with seaweed. I work at the YMCA, and one of the most popular snacks for parents to bring their kids is dried seaweed which has an extremely strong and unappealing smell. It seriously makes me want to vomit!!

I also don't like squash of any sort...never have. I have corn pasta and quinoa pasta. The corn stuff is pretty good, but I haven't yet tried the other.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:07 AM

If it's really that hard, then I probably won't do it. I can't keep eating gluten and being sick all the time...not as a college student.

I totally understand that. So, do what Mushroom said. Get the tests now. You can stop eating gluten and the tests might still work for a short time. If that doctor won't do it, find another one that will. Get it done as soon as possible before it gives you a false negative because you have been off gluten too long. You might not get another chance.

#18 keeponsingin

keeponsingin

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:21 AM

I'm back at school, and that's about 2 hours away from home and my doctor. I won't be home for another 2 weeks, and I can't keep being sick all the time. I've already missed almost all the classes I can for the entire semester, and there's still 3 months left to it!

#19 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

Mmmm, does your school have an oncampus clinic? Perhaps they can draw the blood and send it off? Might be worth looking into.

#20 keeponsingin

keeponsingin

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

I'm pretty sure they only do blood draws for mono. But I (and most other students at my school) try our best to avoid going there anyway since they're essentially useless.

#21 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

You should also have a screening test for Lupus and thyroid. Thyroid issues can be affected by seaweed. Seaweed has iodine. You mentioned it and it has to be part of what is going on here with your health.
Michigan

#22 keeponsingin

keeponsingin

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

I mentioned what? Seaweed? That was in response to the kelp suggestion. I said I can't do seaweed -- it disgusts me. I pretty much never eat it. I'll have the occasional spicy shrimp roll, but I would say that is only a few times a year.

#23 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

oops my bad.
Michigan

#24 keeponsingin

keeponsingin

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

No worries. It's easy to misread things, especially if you're quickly scrolling through a thread!

#25 keeponsingin

keeponsingin

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

I was doing so well...until today. I accidentally "glutened" myself :( I got ice cream, and didn't even think that there might be gluten in it. Not long after eating it, I felt awful, so I looked more closely at the label, and saw that the peanut butter cup part of it is manufactured on the same equipment as wheat products. This is Ben and Jerry's PB Cup ice cream, by the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: