arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Else Have Allergies To Cat And Dust Disappear After Giving Up Gluten?

• Please log in to reply

10 replies to this topic

#1 RyanIN

RyanIN

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:55 AM

Has anyone else found that allergies to cats, dust mites, and ragweed have disappeared after giving up gluten? Is that even logical that they could be connected?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

My allergies greatly improved. And, when I needed to take allergy meds, they worked. They didn't work before. And it took tiny amounts to get relief.

That said, Cedar/juniper season (which is NOW), seems to still kick my butt. But at least the medicine works.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 Em314

Em314

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

My allergies (primary symptom is constant low-level sinus issues, espeically congestion) seem to have improved a wee bit but I deem it too early to tell if it's "real" or not. I'm not sure if it's logical or not but it's nice, anyway. :lol:
Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

I have given up all what I call non-essential medications over the last six or so months. This has included my allergy medication. I've noticed in that time (during which I have also avoided all CC) that instead of going through a box or so of tissues a week, I am going through about a box a month. This is with the bunny and bale of hay I am both allergic to, living with me in the room I spend nearly all of my time in. That said, I did not do particularly well yesterday in the Jeep driving a new bale of hay home. I'm still feeling like I have gremlins in my head trying to pop my eyes out from inside, although I imagine I'll recover by tomorrow or the next day.

My seasonal allergies, I don't know yet. Last spring was the same nightmarish hell as always. I am extremely allergic to trees. Why did I move to a city full or orchards? Because of how stunningly brilliant I am of course. <_< I'm dreading the day I see the first blooms on the apple trees in the back yard. I guess all I can do though is see how it goes and be ready to pick up that bottle of flonase if the worst happens.

As for pets? Well, my husband's cat makes me break out in hives. Not testing that. :lol: He can keep right on being an outdoor kitty, he is far too happy outdoors to ever be the kind of cat who would be happy cooped up anyway so I'll just let that one be. I'm more of a dog/bunny person anyway. They don't give me hives.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Yes! I had allergy skin prick testing several years before I was diagnosed with Celiac. Those showed I was allergic to dust mites and cats.

Fast forward to about a year into my diagnosis, and repeat testing (I was this time being tested for foods, but they also did a full panel of testing).
Nothing showed up-- no foods or dust or cats.

Now, I had a cat in the house both times-- the same cat for 18 years so possibly my system adjusted? I know allergies can come and go throughout a lifetime, but I thought I'd throw my experience out there.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

My allergies have increased. From having a few minors to asthmatic allergies to all citrus and tomatoes. Asthma from spices, hives from eggs and other spices, hives from celery, swollen throat from ginger. All these are new. It's quite upsetting especially as I'm recently corn intolerant :(

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

#7 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

My cat and dust allergies have gotten worse :( Not to mention that I've developed a wheat allergy, quite apart from being gluten intolerant.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#8 RyanIN

RyanIN

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

I was actually skin prick tested for my allergies about a week before I went gluten free completely. So, it seems a bit too coincidental to think that the allergies happened to disappear right after being tested and at the same time I gave up gluten. Also, the few times I've done 'gluten tests' (aka torture myself to see if gluten really does affect me negatively by eating some - never much fun) my allergies come back (in addition to that darn basketball that grows in my stomach everytime I eat gluten). So, I'm glad to hear at least one other person had this experience!

Yes! I had allergy skin prick testing several years before I was diagnosed with Celiac. Those showed I was allergic to dust mites and cats.

Fast forward to about a year into my diagnosis, and repeat testing (I was this time being tested for foods, but they also did a full panel of testing).
Nothing showed up-- no foods or dust or cats.

Now, I had a cat in the house both times-- the same cat for 18 years so possibly my system adjusted? I know allergies can come and go throughout a lifetime, but I thought I'd throw my experience out there.

#9 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

My allergies greatly improved or completely disappeared. That is only based on experience and not testing. I used to have to leave places from perfume allergies. It would make me have to lie down for the rest of the day. Now other's complain and I don't even notice! Other allergies, animal dander, dust, were also greatly improved.

#10 Dugudugu

Dugudugu

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

No improvements in my case. I got improvements from the moment I kicked the cats out of the bedroom. My doc told me to get rid rid of them, something that's is out of the question. Will take meds when neccesairy.

#11 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Adelaide, you need to get you one of those fancy Jeep safari- style racks that go overhead, for the hay. Or a great big bicycle type rack that attaches to the back end somehow, there are all different types. I made the mistake of carrying a bale of alfalfa hay years ago, several times in my car instead of the truck, the dust gets into the air vents and in every nook and cranny, I may never get it out.

As to the cat, yes, much less allergic, but I have the cat on gluten free food also, so she doesn't cross contaminate the dog, because you can't keep a cat from drinking out of the same water dish. Allergies to some grasses and weeds, not improved, allergy to some grass hays, worse. :( But I don't think it is because of going gluten free, it's because I'm not dosed to the gills with antihistamines daily that I notice this. There is this one pasture weed that blooms in the late summer/fall that has a lot of sap, and reeks, which I can't identify inspite of searching the internet, I would love to know what it is because my one mare reacts to it also, poor thing, it welts us both up, but I can wash it off. We try to spray it out, it seems to come from across the street. Doesn't need irrigation, wonder if it is introduced from another country. Locals called it "stinkweed," but it isn't that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: