arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

arrowJoin Celiac.com's New Online Support Group

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Finally Got My Blood Test Results Back/need More Testing?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

I had an endoscopy back in October and am just now got the results mailed to me....I am disappointed that I was only sent the blood test results and not the biopsy results....I have an appt. at the beginning of March so will make sure I get those copies.

Anyway, everything looks negative, but total serum IgA was marked low. hm. mine is 76 and the range is 91-414

Here is what was tested, please tell me if I need other testing as I know low IgA can make the tests false negative

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgA 2 units range is 0-19
Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgG 3 units range is 0-19
**I"m not sure why they give the range as 0-19 but then it says that 0-19 is negative with 20-30 being a weak positive and >30moderate to strong positive***

T-Transglutaminase(tTG)IgA<2 U/mL range is 0-3
Tissue Transglutaminase(tTG) IgG <2U/mL range is 0-5
Endomysial Antibody IgA(this one didn't give a range and just said negative)no numbers were given for this it just says negative

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, serum(which I guess is the total serum IgA??) 76 range is 91-414

Thank you for looking! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

It looks like they ran all the important tests. Yes, Immunoglobulin A Qn serum is the total IgA. Since they already ran the IgG versions of the DGP and the tTG, you do not need any further testing; this is the additional testing they would do to compensate for your low IgA. If your biopsy was also negative (do post the results when you get them) then it would appear that you are non-celiac gluten intolerant.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Those are all the tests that I know too. I think your testing is done.

Because your IGA levels are so low, your ttg IgA, EMA IgA, and DGP IgA tests will not show if you are a celiac; your IgA levela are too low to be tested (about 5% of celiacs' IgA levels are low... higher than the regular population). I would completely discount those tests; if they are in the high end of the normal range (a 33 in a range of 0-34 for example) you might want to consider if that is telling you something though.

Unless you have a positive biopsy, it looks like you are NCGI as Mushroom said... same treatment plan. :) Good luck.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#4 MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

If the biopsy was negative, how would I know if I am non celiac gluten intolerant? Are you going by the low total serum IgA?

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

If you do not test positive for celiac, and if you are intolerant to gluten, you are called non-celiac gluten intolerant. There is currently no test for this condition (although they are working on it, now they have identified it :P )
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

The serum IgA just tells you if you have enough IgA in your body to show a positive test for celiac in the tests that refer to the IgA (like ttg IgA, EMA IgA, and DGP IgA) and you don't have enough IgA to get a positive tests in those. It is possible that you would have had a positive celiac test (in ttg IgA, EMA, and DGP IgA) but I'm afraid you'll never know because your IgA levels are deficient. These sites discuss the tests a bit and might help you;
http://labtestsonlin...mmunoglobulins/
http://labtestsonlin.../celiac/start/2

I just assumed that you were having symptoms (GI, neuropathies, headaches, aches and pains, etc) that you had linked back to gluten and that's why you were tested for celiac. It appears you don't have celiac (although you can't be sure because of your low IgA) so i figured you are NCGI then, which occurs in between 8% and 30% of the population... it's much more common than celiac, and every bit as uncomfortable.

If you have had gluten intolerance symptoms, you should consider trying the gluten-free diet for a few months. I would give it at least four months; I'm 7 months in and still noticing minor improvements, and my arthritic like joints didn't start to improve until I was 6 months gluten-free.

Best wishes.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#7 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

I had an endoscopy back in October and am just now got the results mailed to me....I am disappointed that I was only sent the blood test results and not the biopsy results....I have an appt. at the beginning of March so will make sure I get those copies.

Anyway, everything looks negative, but total serum IgA was marked low. hm. mine is 76 and the range is 91-414

Here is what was tested, please tell me if I need other testing as I know low IgA can make the tests false negative

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgG
T-Transglutaminase(tTG)IgA
Tissue Transglutaminase(tTG) IgG
Endomysial Antibody IgA(this one didn't give a range and just said negative)
Immunoglobulin A, Qn, serum(which I guess is the total serum IgA??)

Thank you for looking! :)

Dumb questions. Had you been eating gluten before you got your testing? I know you posted other topics, but I haven't been around for a while and can't remember what I've read!

Were you having symptoms? (Edited to answer my own dumb question...) Ahh, yes, I went to find your older posts and see you were eating gluten!

Next dumb question...do you have the actual numbers for the other blood tests? I'll be interested to hear what the biopsy report shows, since they had told you they were only going to take two samples. Do you know how many they actually did?

Edited by beachbirdie, 17 February 2013 - 08:42 PM.

1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#8 MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

ok, I looked through my papers and I do have the biopsy result. I'm not sure how I missed it, I guess I was expecting all the samples to be listed and they weren't. Turns out, 4 samples were taken. I requested the biopsy for Celiac because I have Hashimoto's(which I know is in the risk group for Celiac) and heartburn/ very severe reflux. I had to have an endoscopy done anyway because i Had a stricture in my esophagus because of the reflux.

The biopsy for celiac reads as this: Small intestine, unspecified, biopsy. Duodenal mucosa with intact villous architecture and no significant abnormality.

All of the blood test results were pretty low , I"ll go back and try and edit my first post but I know these results are negative...I do understand that it's possible my IgA tests *could* be positive, but with the deficient total serum IgA, they'lll never show up positive. I did read on Dr. Rodney Ford's site that one should get the anti gliadin test if everythingone is IgA deficient...it's the test that the deamidated gliadin test replaced(hope I got that right) should I request it?

#9 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

ok, I looked through my papers and I do have the biopsy result. I'm not sure how I missed it, I guess I was expecting all the samples to be listed and they weren't. Turns out, 4 samples were taken. I requested the biopsy for Celiac because I have Hashimoto's(which I know is in the risk group for Celiac) and heartburn/ very severe reflux. I had to have an endoscopy done anyway because i Had a stricture in my esophagus because of the reflux.

The biopsy for celiac reads as this: Small intestine, unspecified, biopsy. Duodenal mucosa with intact villous architecture and no significant abnormality.

All of the blood test results were pretty low , I"ll go back and try and edit my first post but I know these results are negative...I do understand that it's possible my IgA tests *could* be positive, but with the deficient total serum IgA, they'lll never show up positive. I did read on Dr. Rodney Ford's site that one should get the anti gliadin test if everythingone is IgA deficient...it's the test that the deamidated gliadin test replaced(hope I got that right) should I request it?

Well, you could ask for the gliadin antibodies IgG, and you could also beg for the anti-EMA IgG version (yes, there actually IS one!).  But, if you are willing and motivated to go with a gluten-free lifestyle, then you could stop here and be non-celiac gluten-intolerant.  NCGI is NOT a "lesser stepchild", it is a real condition.  And in order to feel well, it is important to be as gluten free as an officially diagnosed celiac.

Did you by chance get any of the genetics done?

1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: