2 replies to this topic

#1 brad90956

brad90956

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

About a year ago I woke up and my pinky finger was red and swollen. After a few days I went to the doctor and had an X-ray done, blood work (arthritis, gout, CBC, ANA, RF, lupus)...all were negative. Since then I have had an MRI which showed no trauma and that I have inflammation in the knuckle. No arthritis.

My last visit to the doctor was this week. He flat out told me he doesn't know what is wrong with me. I guess my next step is going to a rheumatologist.

My question is this...could it be caused from gluten? I am going to start a gluten free diet tomorrow to see if it helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:21 AM

Could be. Just from my experience-- I used to get that exact thing with my left thumb from time to time. Red, swollen, painful.

Since my diagnosis and going gluten free, it hasn't happened once-- it'll be 8 years in June.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

My Dad had gout from the age of 36 and several of his siblings suffered from it too.   Dad's blood counts did not indicate they were high enough for him to have gout.  You can't always depend on the blood test.  Just a thought for you. . .  I sure hope it isn't gout, it's a nasty disease!

He did have gout and proven through aspiration of fluid from his knee joints which showed the crystals.  My Uncle controlled his gout through diet very successfully.  

Misdiagnosed DH symptoms for 30 years in the form of blisters on shoulders, scalp, sole of foot and lower back.
Type II Diabetes 1995  /   Fatty liver biopsy 2001  ~ Diagnosed with NH Lymphoma in 2007 metastasized to bones & Stage IV by 2008 Chemotherapy in 2008 ~ Breakout of rash from scalp to sole of feet. February 28, 2012 until present
Iron deficiency anemia - July of 2012  /  
Osteoarthritis. September 2012  2012 Rash was diagnosed as Eczema, Grover's Disease, Folliculitis per biopsies of the lesions. September 2012   Started Dapsone and Gluten-Free diet on October 20, 2012 ~ Diag DH 2012.  Not taking Dapsone due to sulfa reaction.  Biopsy in July 2013 indicates Lupus but my doctors do not agree on cause of rash for various reasons.  

~Lyn~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: