I'm probably the biggest advocate of Chipotle there is, but that doesn't mean they can ever be perfect.
I've been enjoying their food since they opened about 15 years ago, the last 5 being since I was diagnosed with Celiac.
My experience is that the CO run stores are cleaner and better run overall. This may be part of the problem.
Since the OP is newly diagnosed, I understand how stressful eating out is.
Maybe this will help.
- The only thing in the store that has gluten is the wheat tortilla. But the warming machine is definitely cc'd, so don't use it ever.
- The only ingredient that may have been a worry is the vinegar in the hot red sauce, but vinegar is usually ok'd by us Celiacs (some choose to avoid it).
- Yes, the spoons sometimes touch the tortilla, but usually they just dump it on top, and it doesn't. They will change spoons and gloves if you ask (I don't bother).
- I have never once got cc'd there and I eat there at least 3x per week (few choices near my job and I trust them).
- I ONLY ever order a Burrito Bowl. This way there is no possible cc from salad, dressings, taco shells etc.
- I skip the "extras", even though they are gluten-free, they are more easily cc'd. I order MEAT, BEANS, Fajitas and Meat. That's it.
- If I ever see a dirty store, I'm more careful
- I eat their chips all the time. No problem, it's a dedicated fryer.
- I verified all the meats are gluten-free, they even let me read the label(s) when I was first diagnosed
We all have to be careful, I understand, but eating at Chipotle's CAN be done easily. I'm sensitive to cc and have never had an issue.