Again, this is looking at those with allergies, not Celiac Disease. However, allergies are a reaction to proteins, and gluten involves proteins, so I'm just looking at these as examples of whether or not proteins can become airborne by some process of cooking.
I'll list a couple examples. One is primarily industrial, so not as useful to this discussion. I include it merely because it briefly discusses the fact that aerosolization during the cooking process is a known issue. The second is a study with allergic individuals in a closed room where food was cooked. That may be more relevant.
This doesn't address any issues about quantities released into the air vs. quantities required for most Celiacs to react, but it does address the possibility of aerosolization.
"Processing of a food, such as boiling, steaming, or frying, can also release significant quantities of particulates into the air. This aerosolization has also been identified as a potential high risk factor for sensitization by inhalation..."
From the Abstract:
"Subjects were exposed for 20 min to the aerosolized form of the allergen and the symptoms and the lung function were monitored. Aerosolization was achieved by cooking the food in a small room. Where possible challenges were double-blinded....The implicated foods were fish, chickpea, milk, egg or buckwheat...Our data demonstrates that, as in the case of other aeroallergens, inhaled food allergens can produce both early- and late-phase asthmatic responses..."
Oh, and Irishheart? Just because you mentioned feeling sick from strong perfumes.:-) Am I recalling right that you have issues with sulfites? If that's correct, you might be interested to know that a lot of sulfite sensitive folks react to perfumes. Some have severe reactions, but most I've spoken to say their reactions are mild, often headaches, dizziness or nausea.
I've heard a lot of anecdotal reports re: sulfites in perfumes, but the closest to a 'source' I've found is 'A Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients,' which said that sodium metabisulfite is used as an antifermentative in perfumes, so maybe your reaction isn't as psychosomatic as you may have thought.