As many of you know, food and travel are my obsessions. Trying new foods for the first time absolutely thrills me. I am open to trying anything once (unless it is illegal or endangered or unethical). This trip we went to a place on Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations". He said it was truly amongs the best food he had ever put into his mouth.
We placed ourselves into the chef's hands and they just kept bringing more and more things to try. Altogether 16 dishes!! Some of the less common included:
- shark liver mousse with onion marmalade
- conger eel pate
- raw mullet dipped in sesame seeds and lightly grilled with dandelion and arugula sauce
- the best octopus salad I have ever had - exceedingly tender
- steamed squid eggs with smoked chile
- red mullet sashimi with balsamic
- bonito and mackerel confit
- scallops in shells with roe in white wine
- Brodeta (traditional Istrian fish stew) with spider crab, squid and polenta (of course I've had squid and polenta millions of times but spider crab not very often)
AND...get this...this place creates gluten free and lactose free desserts every day. The restaurant closes for the month of August simply because the fish/shellfish are in warmer waters and not as perfect.
My dessert was a flourless white chocolate cream cake with a bittersweet chocolate cake base full of almonds.
I've traveled all over and eaten at Michelin starred restaurants. Had veal head and brains in Paris last Fall. Well, this place is the most superbly fresh food I have ever eaten. It was not molecular gastronomy - each dish contained only a few ingredients and really highlighted what came from the sea that day. The menu changes constantly, depending on what the fishermen bring in.
The chef was very skilled, highly aware of celiac and extremely knowledgable. What they created for my husband and I was absolutely out-of-this-world incredible.
For those of you who are passionate about food, you MUST travel to Croatia. You can even stay at our house!