Jump to content

Follow Us:   Twitter Facebook Celiac.com Forum RSS      

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts
arrowShare this page:
Subscribe Today!

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:


Member Since 01 Mar 2012
Offline Last Active Apr 19 2012 03:54 PM

Posts I've Made

In Topic: Blood Test Results

19 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

I had severe damage and they put me on iron pills. I guess they're hoping for a patch of villi that might grab it? It's been slow to resolve in me, which is pretty normal I guess.for all anemics? If you're waiting until future blood tests show you're not absorbing the iron, it may take a while I think?
I know you have other issues, and may worry that you'll be pegged as a hypochondriac? I'd ask for the scope anyway. The IBS, anemia, family history, and other illnesses should be enough to justify the reason for a scope?

Maybe if you took a print out to the Dr. about causes for anemia, it would make a better case for further investifgation?

Thanks for that Bubba's Mom, certainly very informative reading. I have to be re-tested in 3 months, so that will show if the iron has made any difference. I guess I have waited this long, I can wait a bit longer....It took me years to get diagnosis of the other things I have, so I guess I am used to the whole process of going through banging my head against a wall for a long time first :) but I will definitely push the point if the iron issue has not resolved at my next appointment based on the article you kindly found, so thanks very much for that.

In Topic: Blood Test Results

19 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

You are right about my family history, I think the same too, I would add that my daughter sometimes displays symptoms which could be gluten related too.
Am I right in thinking that if there is damage, that the iron pills won't help if absorption will be an issue?
At the moment I am thinking that if the iron does not help then I will have good reason to ask for further testing....

I hate being in this position, as I already have a few health issues, and just feel like I a trying to find another one! My doctor is pretty good, but sometimes I do wonder if she thinks I sit at home looking up things to find wrong with myself!, as I am unfortunate in having M.E (C.F.S) which is one of those things which can't actually be 'proved' by a medical test other than elimination of other things, Ehlers Danlos type lll (hypermobility) and (reactive) depression as a result of living with the pain and limitations of the other 2 conditions.

So, pushing for further investigation just feels like I am looking for another condition to add to my collection as it were (although she has already added IBS!) but if the iron does not work I would have a reason to ask for further investigation....

In Topic: Blood Test Results

18 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for your replies....
It was just bloodwork which was negative. There has been no suggestion of a follow up endoscopy.
With regard to ulcer... actually my mum was found to have low iron last year, it turned out to be due to an ulcer which turned out to be cancer (inoperable- and now terminal) So I would be lying, if that was not at the back of my mind!
I guess all I can do just now is wait and see if the iron pills change anything when I get re-tested in 3 months. If it does nothing then obviously there is another issue, if the iron fixes the problem, then I will just need to be much better with my diet than I though I had been, and really make sure I load up on iron rich foods etc, as there is no way I am going back to eating meat!

In Topic: No One Thinks It's A Big Deal....

15 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

Thanks so much for the supportive replies :) It really helps to know that others have faced the same sort of thing.

I have finally got a cancellation appointment, so will be getting my test results tomorrow! I would be lying if I said I was not very worried about what the day may bring, but I do feel a bit more positive about the fact that I have support here, if nothing else....so thank you all for that, you have no idea how much it means to me :)

In Topic: Can I Determine Gluten Allergy By Changing Diet?

15 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

I am in the process of being tested myself.
If you were to put her on a gluten free diet and she improved, it may well indicate that gluten is a problem. However, if you wanted to pursue medical testing (blood tests etc) you would then need to reintroduce gluten and put her on a 'Gluten challenge' of quite high levels of gluten for some time before testing, and there are many conflicting views on how much gluten and for how long is required to ensure accurate test results. Not only that reintroducing gluten after being gluten free can be unpleasant in terms of symptoms.
Personally, I decided to try going gluten free to 'test the theory' and after only one week, yes I started to feel better in as much of some of the immediate symptoms subsided (gurgling stomach, gas etc were less after a couple of days). I stopped after a week when I read that it was necessary to be eating gluten to get tested. I still had to do a 6 week gluten challenge, which was not nice to do and held up the diagnosis process.
In general, it seems prudent to continue to eat gluten until all medical tests you wish to pursue have been completed, and you are satisfied with either a diagnosis, or that you are sure going gluten free is the solution and you do not want to go back to gluten at all.
I am sure there are people here with much more experience who will have more to add, this is just my view as someone going through being tested.
Good luck, and I hope your daughter feels better soon.

Celiac.com Sponsors: