I'm glad you are feeling better in spite of the mediacl advice you received. That's a crying shame that they did not share the correct results of your biopsy with you!
It sounds like celiac disease to me too. I think you did the right thing going gluten-free when you did. If you decide to do more testing, you'll need to resume eating gluten (equivalent of 1-2 slices of bread per day) for 2-4 weeks for the biopsy, and 8-12 weeks for the blood tests. The longer the better.
If you get the blood tests done, these are the ones to ask for:
- tTG IgA and tTG IgG (most common tests)
- DGP IgA and DGP IgG (newer tests which areoften better for diagnosing "early" celiac disease)
- EMA IgA (detects more advanced celiac disease, and is rarely positive if the tTG IgA is negative)
- AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older and less reliable tests)
- total serum IgA (a control test)
This report has more info on the tsets on pages 8-12: http://www.worldgast..._long_FINAL.pdf
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.