Not sure if your reaction is normal for most but for me that is normal. If I eat something that contains gluten, I have about 30 to 45 minutes to get home before I get really sick and end up in bed for the day. I ate out at 5 Guys the other day and within 30 minutes of eating it was like I had taken a very strong laxative and that was just form a little cross contamination. If I was to eat one cookie, my symptoms would be the same as yours up above. It's like having the flu. Good luck!
I hope the point where you tell that story and laugh about it isn't too far in the future. It is going to be a good one when you do get there.
Yeah, if an actual ingredient makes its way into my food, I'll start to have digestive reactions within minutes though I haven't been hit so hard as you ... yet. But minor contaminations normally take a little longer for me, about an hour or so later and are more about the sinus, mood, and headaches.
Sorry your "friend" wasn't more understanding. I suppose those who don't have food allergies can't relate though I'm still glad I don't have one that causes anaphylactic shock. Those peanut-allergy folks still have it worse than us.
Yes, I try to tell myself there are people worse off than me. But sometimes my own pity party wins out.