Jump to content

Follow Us:   Twitter Facebook Celiac.com Forum RSS      

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts
arrowShare this page:
Subscribe Today!

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:


Member Since 09 Dec 2012
Offline Last Active Jan 03 2013 09:20 PM

Posts I've Made

In Topic: Should I Push The Issue With Doctor?

03 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

I saw the Gastroenterologist and he wants to do a Colonoscopy and Endoscopy which one of things he will look for is Celiac Disease. It will be on the 25th of Jan. We shall see soon.

In Topic: Should I Push The Issue With Doctor?

10 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

I have not had the full panel... Only one test.

My son's blood test was negative but his biopsy was positive. My blood test was positive but my biopsy was negative. We are both feeling much better gluten free.

You can push for more tests (sounds like maybe you didn't get the full panel the first time?) but really, those could come up negative and lead you to believe that gluten is not the problem. A more accurate test would be to try the diet for 3 months. Be as strict as you would if you had been given a diagnosis. See how you feel (keep a symptom diary and record in it daily). If you are right, you will be rewarded with better health and feeling good. If you are wrong, no harm.

You don't really need a diagnosis of celiac disease - you are an adult and you are in charge of your own diet (unlike children who might eat at school or summer camp and depend on adults to keep them safe.) Some doctors will give a diagnosis on the basis of your response to the diet. Some only go by the endoscopy.

My son was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I was "technically" diagnosed with "gluten intolerance". It is clear we both have celiac disease.


In Topic: Should I Push The Issue With Doctor?

10 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Thanks to everyone with their feedback.

In Topic: Should I Push The Issue With Doctor?

10 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

I feel the doctors are starting to think I am nuts. They haven't said it, but they want to chalk it up to anxiety and migraines, etc. I am not sure if I am ready to accept those answers.

I have very similar symptoms, and have been given similar tests (4 MRIs, 3 CAT scans, and 2 EEGs, among others). I got three different diagnosis from a number of doctors, the most popular of which is migraines, as you said. I am pushing, primarily because my neuro and GI symptoms have affected my work a lot this year, and I would like to be able to show my employer a diagnosis that tells them I'm not making things up.

Isn't it funny how everyone thinks you're a hypochondriac when your symptoms are "invisible"?

I think the final choice is up to you. I have an allergy test scheduled for the 19th, immediately after which I will be going gluten-free. I have an appointment set with yet another doctor in January, but my symptoms are getting out of control, and I've decided not to wait to see him to go on the diet.

Best wishes to you, and I hope you'll keep in touch about your decisions and your success on the diet, should you choose to do it.

Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsors: