For 25 years I bit my fingernails very severely...to the point they would almost always be bleeding, sometimes 1/8" long, picking layers of nails off with teeth, and I would tear apart my nail beds from constantly biting them. I tried everything to quit over the years from being put on Prozac, having others smack my hands if they saw me, etc. I did this from age 5 until 30.
I discovered that going on a very strict gluten free diet solved this problem along with other symptoms of celiac disease I never even realized were a symptom until I gave up gluten.
Issues that went away after being off gluten:
- Had to visit bathroom after almost every meal (looking back I ate a lot of gluten)
- Heart palpitations (very frequent at the end)
- Very short tempered and for the dumbest things
- Very very sad especially on cloudy or rainy days
- Severe nail biting
- Bloated feeling after eating
Anyways just posting this in hopes it helps someone else that has severe fingernail biting and has no idea why they can't stop.