I have been here for a while because I live a gluten free lifestyle due almost entirely to skin issues. My daughter (adopted but biologically my cousin) is 10 years old and less than the 5th percentile for both height and weight. Over the summer, she has actually lost weight which is a bit of a concern for me. It dawned on me last night when she was complaining of a stomach ache, that maybe we should look at getting her tested for celiac disease. So, these are some of the reasons why I am starting to think that maybe we should get her tested:
- her bio aunt (dads sister) has celiac disease.
- Her bio dad had IBS
- I (bio cousin-same side of family) have DH when I am on wheat although tested negative.
- Stomach aches off and on that last for a few days and then fine again for a few weeks.
- diarrhea when her stomach is bothering her. (she complains after she eats and it hurts intermittently until she eats again)
- Behaviour has been really not good in the last 10 months and she is a very quiet natured sweet kid (irritable, anger outbursts etc)
- Seems "in the clouds" and actually looking at considering add meds in the fall but holding off because I am not ready.
- less than the 5th percentil for height and weight.
- Losing weight in the last 3 months and hasnt grown at all in height.
- often feels bloated (most dinners)
I guess my question is, am I questioning this too much because I am familiar or do we have good enough reasons to push for testing?