My insurance changed so I now have a new GI. He is very knowledgable in Celiac disease. When we tried to get my records from Kaiser transfered over, they said they didn't have any record of my testing (seriously?) anyway since I've been gluten free for almost 7 months he decided to do gene testing on me for his own records.
I came up postitive for DQ2 and he also did my 6 month celiac blood panel which as expected my levels are good. I will have a follow up endoscopy next month to check on healing.
Soooo he strongly encouraged me to get my children gene tested since both of their celiac blood panels were negative, he says they are not going to show up positive because our household is gluten free. The only gluten they get is lunch and if we go out and they get hamburgers. I don't want to wait and see if they develop Celiac, I would never want to see them go through all the illness I've had to endure!
What is the Celiac communities thoughts about if children show up positive on gene testing? Do you take them off gluten or wait and see if they develop it?