I have no patience and will drive myself insane waiting for the phone to ring with my results. Blood draw was on Wednesday at noon. Anyone have experience with Quest Diagnostics' (in the US) turnaround time for the HLA Typing for celiac disease gene testing? How long does it typically take to do the test? I wish my state allowed me to get the results directly, but no, only the doctor can release it .
By the way, I had my family doctor order the test for me since my insurance will cover it 100% and I would have had to wait until November to see a GI doctor. My family doctor was not familiar with the HLA testing and was hesitant to order it, so I brought her Quest's explanation of the test and their test code ordering info. Big help! She agreed and wrote up the request form.
Why I chose to go with the HLA Typing for celiac disease test: I've had the celiac panel done (in 2006 and then again recently) and biopsies taken (in 2006), but I have doubts with the accuracy and the doctors knowledge of celiac at the time. Rather than continuing a gluten challenge and repeating the celiac panel or EGD, I decided to just go with the HLA testing and let that be my determining factor with how I continue. I myself will be gluten-free indefinitely regardless of the results. I KNOW I am intolerant and Allergy IgG testing shows high “allergy”/intolerance to wheat, rye and gluten (among quite a few other foods). This challenge has really taken a toll on me. Besides my increased GI, skin, fatigue, brainfog and hair loss symptoms, I think it also caused an RA flare and my blood glucose has seemed a bit on the higher side lately. I had gestational diabetes 14 years ago with second child and prediabetes 3 years ago with third child. My BG returned to normal after the pregnancy but given it has been three years and I’ve had some recent symptoms of what I used to get with high BG, I just had a recheck along with a recheck of my vitamin D (deficiency was found a year ago, brought back up with high dose tablet then switched to lower dose for maintenance for the past several months). Both tests came back in normal range. A1c was 5.3 so not in “prediabetes” range but still think it is a little higher than it needs to be. I don’t want to risk a prolonged gluten challenge pushing me over. So, I am pretty confident that my only choice is to go 100% gluten-free. BUT, I have 3 kids who are all on the small side. All of them have always been on the lowest (and sometimes fell off) the standard growth chart. My older kids are on the later end of puberty and they all have occasional tummy troubles and other minor ailments. I have other family members who have GI problems too. I just need to know if I do carry the celiac disease genes then I know to keep a closer eye on my kids and have them screened from time to time and notify my family who may want to look into it for themselves. If no genes, then maybe I can relax a little.
I hate waiting…..