Celiac.com 09/19/2020 - With their red flesh and their deep connection to summer, tomatoes and watermelon are like brothers from another mother. Firm, sweet and juicy at their peak of ripeness, all you need to make them sing together, is some salt, spice, and a little fat. This recipe goes that distance, and then turns a corner with spiced turmeric oil. The result is a dish fit for royalty.
For this recipe, it's important to use tomatoes and watermelon at room temperature, otherwise the coconut oil will seize, and culinary disaster will ensue.
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp. coarsely crushed peppercorns
- 1 tsp. coarsely crushed coriander seeds
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ¼ large seedless watermelon (about 3 pounds), yellow is best, rind removed, flesh cut into ½" pieces
- 2 medium or large heirloom tomatoes, cut into ½" pieces
- 8 oz. mild feta cheese, cut into ½" pieces
- Flaky sea salt
Heat coconut oil, peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and turmeric in a small saucepan over medium until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Let turmeric oil cool slightly.
Arrange watermelon, tomato, and feta on a platter.
Drizzle turmeric oil evenly over and sprinkle with salt.
Pretend you are some kind of Raj from a bygone era, and enjoy.
Read more at Bonappetit.com