This southwestern-style mixed bean salad is a big hit at potlucks and picnics. It’s easy to make, easy to transport, and can even be made a day or two ahead of time. This recipe is flexible. You can add or subtract ingredients according to your tastes.
- 1 small can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small can kidney beans, drained
- 1 small can canellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small can corn, drained
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons white sugar, to taste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
In a large bowl, combine beans, bell peppers, corn, and red onion.
Pour olive oil dressing over vegetables; mix well. Chill thoroughly, and serve cold.