Celiac.com 11/07/2020 - Roasted multicolored beets deliver a rich palette of fall color for these nutritious, gluten-free, open-face sandwiches with goat cheese, balsamic vinegar and sunflower seeds.
- 8 slices crusty gluten-free bread, preferably sourdough (½-inch thick), lightly toasted
- 4 small red beets, scrubbed
- 4 small golden beets, scrubbed
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 1 ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon shelled sunflower seeds, as desired
Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket.
Add beets, cover and steam until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Let stand on a clean cutting board until cool enough to handle.
Rub off the skins with your fingers or a paper towel.
Cut the beets into wedges or slices.
Transfer to a bowl and toss with oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
Stir goat cheese and milk in a medium bowl until smooth.
Season with pepper.
Spread about 2 tablespoons of the mixture on each piece of toast.
Top with some of the beets and garnish with flaky salt and sunflower seeds, as desired.