Celiac.com 12/02/2014 - Say what you want about turkey and stuffing being the cornerstone of any great holiday feast. For many folks, that’s all just window dressing for the real cornerstone of the meal: Dessert.
This year, we’re going beyond the standard dessert fare to include the recipe for our home-run Gluten-free Pecan-Streusel Apple Pie with Almond Meal Crust, along with links to ten more top-ranked gluten-free desserts.Gluten-free Pecan-Streusel Apple Pie with Almond Meal Crust
Almond Meal Crust Ingredients:
- ¾ cup finely crushed almonds
- ¾ cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 6 cups thinly sliced, peeled tart apples (6 medium)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Gluten-Free Multipurpose Flour
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Pecan Streusel Topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ¾ cup King Arthur Gluten-Free Multipurpose Flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
Almond Meal Crust Directions:
Heat oven to 325°F.
Place all nut crust ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.
Lightly coat the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan with oil. Pour the nut crust mixture into the pan.
Use the bottom of a measuring cup or glass to press the crumbs down into the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
Place crust in oven and bake about 5-10 minutes, or until the crust is slightly browned. Remove and cool.
Apple Pie Filling Directions:
Heat oven to 325°F.
In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and vanilla. In a second bowl, combine sugars, cinnamon and gluten-free flour. Add to apple mixture and toss well to coat.
Spoon apple filling mixture into the nut crust. Drizzle lightly with butter.
Topping and Cooking Directions:
In a small bowl, combine the flour, pecans and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over filling.
Bake at 325° for about 1 hour or until filling is bubbly and topping is browned (Check at 45-50 minutes). Cool on a wire rack.
TIP: Cover crust with aluminum foil if it starts to get too done.
Ten More Great Gluten-free Holiday Desserts:
- Gluten-free Holiday Pumpkin Pie
- Gluten-free Chocolate Cream Pie
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Almond Meal Crust
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Butter Pecan Crust
- Traditional Gluten-free Apple Pie
- Low-Fat Pumpkin Flan
- Gluten-free Apple Crisp
- Gluten-free Gingerbread
- Gluten-free Orange Walnut Bread
- Candied Orange Peels