This recipe comes to us from Connie Sarros, author of the following cookbooks:
- Wheat-free Gluten-free Dessert Cookbook.
- Wheat-free Gluten-free Reduced Calorie Cookbook.
- Wheat-free Gluten-free Cookbook for Kids and Working Adults.
This one is from the just-released WFGF Cookbook for Kids and Working Adults:
½ cup sugar
½ cup corn oil
½ cup orange juice
1 Tablespoon grated orange rind
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla
1 cup gluten-free flour mixture
2 ½ teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Break the eggs into a 1-quart jar with a tight-fitting lid. Cover and shake 15 times.
- Add the sugar, oil, orange juice, orange rind and vanilla. Cover the jar and shake 20 more times.
- Sift the flour mixture, baking powder and salt onto wax paper, then add to the jar. Shake 40 more times or until mixture is smooth.
- Pour batter into an 8-inch square pan that has been sprayed with gluten-free nonstick spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the bars begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Have an adult help you take the hot pan out of the oven.
- When the bars are cooled, sift confectioners sugar over the top, then cut into bars.
Yield: 16 bars. Serving size: 1 bar
Diabetic Adjustment: Use 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites in place of the 3 whole eggs. Use brown sugar substitute in place of the white sugar. Omit the confectioners sugar.
Calories: 122; Total fat: 7.7g; Saturated fat: 1.1g; Cholesterol: 39.7mg; Sodium: 85.6mg; Carbohydrates: 11.2g; Fiber: .2g; Sugar: 5.6g; Protein: 2g
Diabetic Adjustment: Calories: 105; Total fat: 7.4g; Saturated fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 26.5mg; Sodium: 91.8g; Carbohydrates: 7.4g; Fiber: .2g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 2.2g.