This article originally appeared in the Spring 2004 edition of Celiac.com's Journal of Gluten-Sensitivity.
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup carrots, sliced thin
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons gluten-free apple cider vinegar
- 3 cans (8 oz. each.) salt-free tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
In a medium saucepan, cover lentils with water; bring to a boil, then rinse and drain. Return lentils to pan. Add 3 cups water and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil. Lower heat; simmer 45 minutes or until lentils are tender, adding more water if needed. Stir in salt, pepper, vinegar and tomato sauce; simmer 5 minutes more.
Spray a large skillet with gluten-free nonstick spray. Add oil and sauté chicken pieces over high heat until browned on both sides. Spoon lentil mixture over chicken, lower heat to medium, cover pan and simmer 40 minutes or until chicken is fork tender, adding more water if needed to keep lentils moist.
Calories: 359; Total fat: 6g; Saturated fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 96mg; Sodium: 359mg; Carbohydrates: 30.5g; Fiber: 9.7g; Sugar: 8.2g; Protein: 45.7g
- Articles linking to this article: A FOND FAREWELL TO MY FELLOW JOURNAL READERS