Celiac.com 08/18/2015 - Want to take a sharp turn at the intersection of Boring and Dinner? Want to move rapidly to a new, more exciting suppertime destination? Got some chicken? Gluten-free beer? Oranges, maybe a lemon? Great!
- 1½-2 pounds boneless chicken thighs/drumsticks
- ½ cup of your favorite gluten-free beer (the darker the better)
- â…“ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Arugula and Oranges
- 6 cups baby arugula
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tangerine or sweet orange, peeled, segmented
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeeze orange juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
Heat oven to 375F.
Combine ¼ cup of beer, orange juice, marmalade, zest and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Whisk until the mixture comes to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5-7 minutes, or until it begins to thicken slightly.
Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add the olive oil.
Season the chicken with the salt and pepper and add it to the skillet, searing on both sides until deeply golden, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
After the second side is seared, add the ¼ cup of beer to the skillet and use a wooden spoon to scrape away bits from the bottom of the pan.
Keep the bits, pour in the orange mixture and turn off the heat.
Place the chicken in the oven uncovered and bake for 20 minutes.
Every 5 minutes or so, baste the chicken with glaze from the bottom of the pan.
Serve with steamed rich and greens.
Gluten-Free Arugula Salad with Oranges
Combine arugula, tangerine and onion in a large bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk together the oil, juice, vinegar, salt and pepper until combined, then pour half on the greens and toss well to coat. Save the mixture for extra dressing if desired. Sprinkle the almonds on the salad and toss again. Serve immediately with the chicken.