This gluten-free lentil soup recipe makes 6 servings.Ingredients:
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups dry lentils
- 8 cups water (or Gluten-free chicken stock)
- 2 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsalmic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- One inch snippet of Kombu*
*Ask about “Kombu,” a seaweed, at your health food store. It comes in a sealed package. Snip off an inch with a pair of scissors, and then put it in all of your bean dishes. It dissolves with no taste. It then helps you digest the meal without any gas problems!
1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
2. Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts. Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
NOTE: Especially good served with brown rice. You can even add a half cup of water and add rice as an ingredient into this recipe.