Celiac.com 12/01/2015 - This recipe for Peruvian-style cilantro chicken soup delivers a rich, flavorful soup that marries chicken with cilantro with carrots, sweet red bell peppers, yellow onion, a savory broth, and some chili pepper for a nice zesty snap.
- 1 pound chicken thighs cut into chunks
- 4 cups + 2 cups warm chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 small chopped yellow onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic + 1 whole clove
- 1 cup sliced fresh leek
- 1 large medium-hot green pepper, such as Anaheim or Poblano, chopped
- ¾ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- 1 small hot chile pepper, such as Jalapeño or Serrano
- 1½ teaspoon powdered cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 5 small peeled potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 2 ears of fresh corn chopped into chunks
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, thoroughly washed
- Scallions and limes for garnish
In heavy bottomed pot, heat butter over medium-high heat.
Add chopped onion, leek, bell pepper, carrot, and medium-heat chile pepper.
Sprinkle with a little salt, sauté, and allow vegetables to become soft. About 5 minutes.
Add minced garlic, cumin, and oregano. Sauté 1-2 minutes, until very fragrant.
Add 4 cups warmed chicken broth. Stir, then add in potatoes, corn and chicken.
Mix the following ingredients in a blender: 1 bunch of cilantro, 1 hot chile pepper, 1 large clove of garlic, and 2 cups warmed chicken broth. Once blended, add mixture to soup pot.
Once everything is cooked, add salt and pepper as desired, and adjust flavor to taste.
Serve with limes and garnish with chopped scallions and cilantro.