Celiac.com 10/08/2015 - Want a light, healthy gluten-free vegetarian lunch that's tasty and offers a departure from a more standard noodle dish? Try this lovely Asian-style salad made with spiral or long julienne zucchini "noodles."
Some people make this with raw zucchini, but that's hard to digest, so I blanche the zucchini noodles first.
- 3 to 4 medium zucchini, spiral cut or long thin strips
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 2 green onions, thin diagonal slices
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups thinly sliced and roughly chopped red cabbage
- ½ large red bell pepper, sliced thin and cut into 1-inch segments
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar seasoned with salt, pepper and sugar
- 2 tablespoons quality olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
If you have a food processor or other spiral vegetable slicing tool, use it to make the zucchini noodles.
Otherwise, cut zucchini into very long, thin strips, enough to make about 5 to 6 cups of zucchini noodles.
Place zucchini noodles in a metal strainer and immerse in boiling water for about 30 seconds, until blanched.
Once lightly blanched, remove the zucchini noodles and allow to drain well.
Place the drained, blanched zucchini noodles in a large bowl. Add the cabbage, carrot, bell pepper, onions, and cilantro.
In a medium bowl, whisk seasoned rice vinegar, olive oil, dark sesame oil, minced garlic, and red pepper flakes.
Pour the dressing over the zucchini noodles and vegetables and gently toss to combine. Or, alternatively, serve dressing on the side.