Celiac.com 03/03/2015 - You can make this with rice noodles or pure buckwheat soba noodles. The key is to cook the noodles only until they're halfway done, and then remove them from the hot water. They should be pliable, but still firm in the center. Pan-frying will finishes the cooking process. Add chicken, or shrimp, and you have the makings of a great meal.
- 6-8 ounces of boneless chicken chunks, or cleaned, shelled and deveined shrimp
- 6 ounces gluten-free buckwheat soba, or rice noodles
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons rice wine or rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2½ tablespoons cooking oil, more as needed
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups washed baby spinach or Chinese broccoli leaves
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Sriracha or other hot sauce, as desired
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free fish sauce (I use Squid brand)
- One bunch thinly sliced scallions, both white and green part
- Juice of ½ lime, to taste
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, more as needed
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
In a small bowl, combine the scallions, soy sauce, ginger, rice wine or vinegar, sesame oil and salt. Let stand while you prepare the noodles.
In a large pot of boiling water, cook noodles until they are halfway done. They should be soft on the outside, but firm on the inside.
Drain well and toss with ½ tablespoon of the peanut oil to keep them from sticking, and spread them out on a plate or baking sheet.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons of cooking oil. Add the garlic and cook until crisp and golden around the edges, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add half the scallion mixture and stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Cook the chicken or prawns by stir-frying it in the same wok/skillet until nearly done, then removing it and setting it aside.
Add noodles; stir-fry until noodles are hot and lightly coated with sauce, about 30 seconds.
Add spinach, fish sauce, sriracha, remaining scallion mixture, salt and pepper, and continue to stir-fry until the spinach begins to wilt. Add the cooked chicken or shrimp back into the wok at the same time as the eggs. Stir until chicken/shrimp and eggs are cooked, about 1 to 2 minutes longer.
Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. Garnish with cilantro and sesame seeds or peanuts.