4 tablespoons rendered chicken fat (*you can use plain oil, but its not nearly as good. I use Empire Kosher rendered chicken fat – pre-frozen in tubs)
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup gluten-free flour
¾ cup dried potato flakes
- Blend eggs and chicken fat (with fork, or with Cuisinart).
- Add dry ingredients, and mix.
- Cover and let sit in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Have briskly boiling water ready.
- Roll 1 ½ inch balls from mixture using wet hands, drop into boiling water.
- When all balls are in water, use a long spoon to make sure none of the balls are stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Cover pot with lid, and cook over medium heat for 35 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer balls directly to soup, or to freeze for later use, transfer to waxpaper lined cookie sheet and freeze until hard, then transfer into zip lock freezer bags.
Makes about 11 matzo balls. Recipe can be easily doubled or halved.