This southwestern-style mixed bean salad is a big hit at potlucks and picnics. It’s easy to make, easy to transport, and can even be made a day or two ahead of time. This recipe is flexible. You can add or subtract ingredients according to your tastes.
- 1 small can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small can kidney beans, drained
- 1 small can canellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small can corn, drained
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons white sugar, to taste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
In a large bowl, combine beans, bell peppers, corn, and red onion.
In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice, lemon juice, sugar, salt, garlic, cilantro, cumin, and black pepper. Season to taste with hot sauce and chili powder.
Pour olive oil dressing over vegetables; mix well. Chill thoroughly, and serve cold.