Celiac.com 03/11/2017 - Need some broccoli cheddar soup? Need it to be gluten-free? Here's a gluten-free copycat of that much-loved broccoli cheddar cheese soup, made famous by the much-loved food chain Panera. You're welcome.
- 2 cups milkâ€¨2 cups chicken stock
- â€¨2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrots, cut to matchstick size
- 2½ cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheeseâ€¨
- 2 tablespoons butter
- â€¨½ large yellow onion, choppedâ€¨
- ¼ cup melted butter
- â€¨¼ cup potato starch
- â€¨1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- â€¨salt and ground black pepper to tasteâ€¨
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
Sauté onion in hot butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.â€¨
In a jar, mix potato starch together with about ½ cup of the chicken stock. Cover with a tight lid, and shake until blended.
In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt ¼ cup of butter
Gradually pour milk, along with the potato starch mixture while whisking constantly.
Stir chicken stock into milk mixture. Bring to a simmer; cook until the mixture is thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Adjust thickness by adding water, or a bit more potato starch, as needed.
Add broccoli, carrots, sauteéd onion, and celery; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.â€¨
Stir Cheddar cheese into mixture until cheese melts. Mix well.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.â€¨