Celiac.com 06/09/2018 - If you haven’t tried savory porridge, then you’ve been missing out. This combination of brown rice, steel cut oats and quinoa makes a nice introduction. The perfectly boiled egg takes it to the top. Dress it up with as many vegetables as you like. You can make it a day or two ahead of time, and just top with vegetables to make a tasty, portable lunch.
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- ⅓ cup brown rice, rinsed well
- ⅓ cup red quinoa, rinsed well
- ⅓ cup steel cut oats, rinsed well
- 2 ounces fresh pea sprouts
- 2 medium shallots, peeled, halved through root
- 1 1” piece ginger, peeled, crushed
- ¼ cup gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 small Persian cucumber, diced
- 1½ cups spinach, wilted
- Sliced almonds, more fresh pea shoots, fresh cilantro leaves, and chopped scallions, as desired
Bring shallots, ginger, rice, quinoa, oats, and 4 cups water and 4 cups of chicken broth to a boil in a large saucepan, reduce heat, and simmer for about 1½–2 hours, stirring often after the first hour of cooking to prevent sticking.
Cook until mixture is thick like porridge and rice is very soft, and beginning to break down.
Stir in more water as needed to achieve desired thickness.
Discard shallots and ginger and stir in soy sauce; season with salt and pepper.
Add pea shoots and cook just until shoots are wilted and tender, about 1 minute.
Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, then carefully add eggs.
Boil exactly 6 minutes, then transfer eggs to a large bowl of ice water; saving hot water for wilting the spinach.
Let eggs cool and peel.
Serve porridge drizzled with oil and topped with soft-boiled eggs, wilted spinach, cucumber, radishes, peanuts, cilantro, and scallions, as desired.
Note: You can cook the rice and quinoa up to 2 days ahead. Reheat in the microwave before adding soy sauce and remaining ingredients.