Celiac.com 01/21/2014 - A solid, tasty lentil soup recipe is another must for any good kitchen, especially during those chilly winter months.
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek, white part only, washed and sliced into julienned strips
- ½ cup finely chopped shallots
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Heat olive oil in a large stock pot and set over medium heat.
Once oil is hot, add the onion, carrot, leeks, celery and salt and sweat until the onions are translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes.
Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander, cumin and pepper and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
Transfer in small batches to a blender, and purée some or all to your preferred consistency. Serve immediately.