In my house, summertime means fresh vegetables and great salads. Salads are a quick and easy way to add splash to just about any meal, and to add extra nutrients to your diet. They are packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals, and can brighten your palate, along with your meal.
- Red leaf or green leaf lettuce
- Heirloom tomato wedges
- Organic carrot, shredded
- Red bell peppers, sliced thin
- Avocado, peeled and sliced
- Sunflower seeds, roasted
- Cucumber, peeled and sliced
- Cilantro, in small sprigs (as desired)
Rinse lettuce and pat dry with a paper towel or spin it in a salad spinner.
Tear lettuce into pieces of desired size and toss into a large salad bowl or individual serving bowls.
Place desired quantities of other fresh ingredients into the bowl(s). Top with sunflower seeds. I've found that adding some cilantro sprigs to my salad really makes it pop with flavor. If you don't like cilantro, feel free to skip it.
In fact, you can feel free to add and subtract any ingredients at will. Add your favorites, or skip what you don't like. This particular salad offers numerous variations, all delicious.
Serve with honey-mustard dressing on the side.
Honey-Mustard Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled & sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Rub the sides of a bowl with garlic, then discard. In the bowl whisk together mustard, honey and vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Scale recipe as needed.
- Articles linking to this article: QUINOA SOUP (GLUTEN-FREE & DAIRY-FREE)