Celiac.com 05/28/2020 - Many of us sheltering at home during the Covid-19 pandemic are looking for a tasty, easy-to-make recipe that will help put a smile on our faces as it nourishes our souls. Having leftovers that are equally delicious is another bonus. This recipe for homemade Italian soup from Gennaro Contraldo over at Jamie Oliver's channel on YouTube really delivers the goods.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 ounces of pancetta, diced
- Two medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 large potatoes
- ⅓-½ cups parsley stalks, chopped
- 1-2 old parmesan cheese rinds, diced
- 10 fresh small tomatoes, halved
- 2 quarts of water
- 1 cube of gluten-free chicken stock
- Handful of basil leaves
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil, more as needed
Heat olive oil in a large pot to medium heat.
Brown the pancetta in the pan.
Add carrots, celery and onions, and sauté until onion softens a bit.
Pull off heat for a moment, and add one quart of water, stir well, and return to heat.
Stir in tomatoes and parsley.
Since I didn't have any basil or pine nuts, I simmered until the vegetables were tender, seasoned to taste, and served.
If you happen to have basil and pine nuts, then follow Gennaro's directions for the lovely pesto that makes a delicious addition to this already tasty soup.