Celiac.com 09/07/2019 - With fall just around the corner, and plenty of delicious summer vegetables still on hand, this vegetarian chili is easy to make and delicious to eat. It's guaranteed to leave plenty of smiling faces at the table.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, optional
- 8 oz. fresh tomatillos
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 can sweet corn kernels, fresh, canned or frozen
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 cans red, black or pinto beans
- 1 can tomatoes in purée, tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 1 cup diced tofu (Optional)
Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
Add onion and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring, until onion starts to soften.
Add garlic and stir until garlic becomes fragrant.
Add red and green bell peppers and carrots and cook about 5 minutes, stirring often, until carrots soften a bit.
Add chili powder, ground cumin, salt and ground red pepper and cook and stir 1 minute.
Add tomatillos and zucchini and cook about 10 minutes, stirring often, until tomatillos get soft.
Stir in remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Uncover and simmer another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens and vegetables are tender.
Serve with your favorite gluten-free bread, crackers, or tortilla chips.