McDonald's is not known for its gluten-free offerings. If you are are at a McDonald's, the number of safe food offerings are slim. So, what about the coffee drinks, like the McDonald's Frappe? Is the McDonald's Frappe gluten-free and safe for people with celiac disease?
McDonald's Frappes are sweet espresso drinks blended with ice and covered with whipped topping, available in Caramel or Mocha flavors. We've gotten numerous questions on our gluten-free and celiac disease forum about McDonald's Frappes.
McDonald's does not specifically label their Carmel or Mocha Frappe as gluten-free. However, a glance at the website shows no gluten ingredients.
The McDonald's website lists the ingredients for the McDonald's Frappe as:
- Ingredients: Sugar, Sweetened Condensed Skim Milk (Milk, Sugar), Water, Corn Syrup, Natural Flavors, Brown Sugar, Propylene Glycol, Sea Salt, Disodium Phosphate, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative).
Mocha Coffee Frappe Base
- Ingredients: Cream, Skim Milk, Sugar, Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Coffee Extract, Milk, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Mono & Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Potassium Citrate, Disodium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Locust Bean Gum, Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 1. Contains: Milk
Whipped Light Cream
- Ingredients: Cream, Nonfat Milk, Liquid Sugar, Contains 2% or Less: Mono and Diglycerides, Natural Flavors, Carrageenan. Whipping Propellant (Nitrous Oxide). Contains: Milk.
- Ingredients: Corn Syrup, Sweetened Condensed Milk (Milk, Sugar), Sugar, Water, Butter (Cream, Salt, Natural Flavor), Salt, Pectin, Disodium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Caramel Color, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative).
- Ingredients: Corn Syrup, Dextrose, Water, Sugar, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Coconut Oil, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Modified Food Starch, Nonfat Milk, Natural Flavors, Salt, Gellan Gum, Disodium Phosphate, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Soy Lecithin.
Milk is the only allergen listed for Carmel flavor. Milk and soy are listed as allergens for the Mocha flavor.
Based on McDonald's website and listed ingredients, both the Carmel and the mocha Frappes are gluten-free and likely safe for people with celiac disease. As always, be careful. Read labels, and watch out for allergens. When in doubt, check ingredients, and check the company website.