Celiac.com 09/06/2016 - Summer means corn, and roasted Mexican-style corn is one of the best gluten-free summertime treats I know. This recipe is sure to leave lots of full stomachs and happy smiles.
- 6-8 ears fresh corn, un-shucked
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped tarragon
- 6 ounces queso Cotija, finely grated
- Spice mixture (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the spice mixture, combine all ingredients. Sprinkle over roasted corn as desired.
Soak the corn in cold water for 1 hour.
Heat the grill.
Put the soaked ears on the hot grill and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, turning frequently.
While the corn is grilling, make the lime butter.
In a small bowl, add the butter, lime juice, tarragon and salt and pepper, to taste.
Mix well and spread onto a large plate.
Take the corn off the grill and carefully peel back the husks (they will be hot).
Remove the corn silk and tie the husks in a knot so you can hold onto it like a handle. Roll the corn in the butter.
Top with a good amount of Cotija cheese and sprinkle with the spice mixture.
For a variation, smear corn with mayonnaise instead of lime butter, and use spices as desired.