Celiac.com 05/21/2011 - May is National Celiac Disease Awareness month, as designated by the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness (NFCA), a 501©(3) non-profit organization dedicated to raising awareness and funding for celiac disease. That means a month of official and unofficial events to promote awareness of celiac disease.
1) Gluten-Free Food Labeling Summit
The first annual Gluten-Free Food Labeling Summit will gather legislators, celiac disease researchers, gluten-free community leaders and food corporations as they call upon the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to enforce a standard for safe and effective labeling of gluten-free food.
When: Wednesday, May 4, 2011
Time: VIP Reception for sponsors, 5-8:30 p.m.
Where: Embassy Suites Convention Center
900 10th Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20001
2) #GFchat on Twitter (featuring Ask the Dietitian experts): May 10, 17, 24, 31 - Chats will take place on Tuesday evenings at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT. Those interested in participating should follow and use the hashtag #GFchat to keep the conversation in one central steam.
3) LIVE with Jill's List: Should You Be Gluten-Free?
May 11 - Join LIVE with Jill's List to listen to and CHAT LIVE with celiac and gluten-free experts:
* Mark Hyman, MD - NY Times Best Selling Author and family physician
* Alice Bast - Founder and President of the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness
* Jill Brack - Founder of GLOW Gluten Free Cookies
4) Celiac 60+: Meeting the Needs of the Mature Celiac
This free online webinar will feature Veronica Alicea, M.B.A., R.D., a well-known dietetic consultant in the celiac and gluten-free fields, leading an hour-long discussion on the rising number of celiac diagnoses in the mature adult population. Wednesday, May 18th at 1 pm ET/10 am PT.
5) Catwalk for Celiac
All proceeds will be donated to the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness.
When: Thursday, May 19, 2011
Time: 6-10:30 p.m.
Where: Fiesta Banquet Hall
255 Route 17 S
Wood-Ridge, NJ 07075
Cost: $35 for students, $42 for adults
6) Celiac Awareness Night at the Mets
Join the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness and R.O.C.K. Long Island for Celiac Awareness Night at the Mets. The New York Mets will be taking on the Philadelphia Phillies, and catch all the action from special sections in the Left Field Landing - tickets $35 or $20 each. Gluten-free concessions will be available.
When: Friday, May 27, 2011
Time: 7:10 p.m.
Where: Citi Field
Corporate promotions for Celiac Disease Awareness Month include:
7) Rudi's Unbelievably Good Gluten-Free Recipe Contest
Submit your original gluten-free recipe using Rudi's Gluten-Free Bakery products (including their new buns and pizza crust) for the chance to win a trip to Colorado and star in an Alternative Appetites video with Dan Kohler!
Some Important Contest Dates:
April 18 – May 20: Recipe submissions accepted on the recipe contest tab on the Rudi’s Gluten-Free Bakery Facebook page
April 18 – June 6: Online voting open to the public
June 13: Top 3 finalists announced
June 24: Top 3 finalists compete in Final Recipe Cook-Off at Restaurant 4580 in Boulder, Colorado.
Check your local gluten-free or celiac disease support group for details on events in your area. Or get together with friends and family and create your own fun for Celiac Awareness Month!