Celiac.com 07/05/2016 - This is hands down one of the easiest and most loved weekend recipes I whip up. Healthy, protein packed, sugar-free, gluten-free, paleo and satisfying. When I have the entire family over they always request this easy sausage and peppers recipe. It works for brunch, lunch or even dinner. I must warn you though, this will go fast. Make plenty of extra so you have leftovers as this gluten-free recipe is delicious heated back up.
If I have everyone over for brunch I will usually make a homemade frittata to go with this or some sweet potato breakfast potatoes. Even my two Maltese pups go crazy over the aroma that emanates from my kitchen. They are always predictably there under my feet just in case "something" happens to drop.
- 1 orange pepper
- 2 yellow peppers
- 2-3 packages of sausages (12-18 ounce packages)
- 2-4 tablespoons Olive oil
- Note: Green peppers are okay to use as well.
- Slice sausage 2-3 inches in thickness, diagonal cut is fine.
- Clean and then cut the peppers.
- Cut into 1-2 inch pieces.
- Heat large skillet with olive oil.
- Add sausage 2 cups at a time so as not to crowd.
- Stir now and then until they appear a tad bit charred.
- Add more oil only as necessary.
- Remove and do this with all of the sausage.
- Set all aside on paper towels to drain and pat with paper towel lightly.
- Add peppers to the same oil until they start to soften.
- Place all in a large, heat-proof skillet.
- Cover with tin foil.
- Place in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
NOTE: can be served as a protein side to main dish; excellent for BBQ type meals and sit-down dinners.
NOTE: Can be prepared days in advance. If so, place in fridge covered. Remove about 5 hours before eating time. Place in preheated oven at 350F for 40 minutes.