Celiac.com 09/23/2016 - Good hummus makes the perfect dish for a potluck or barbecue. Cheap and easy to make, hummus is sure to please and quick to disappear. This recipe delivers a tasty hummus that is sure to be a big hit at your next food fest.
- 2 (15-1/2 oz.) cans chickpeas, aka garbanzo beans
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, from 3 lemons
- ¼ cup sesame tahini, well stirred
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Dash of paprika, as garnish (optional)
Reserving the liquid from the can, strain the chick peas. Set a few chickpeas aside for garnish.
In the bowl of a food processor fitted with metal blade, combine the chickpeas, ⅓ cup reserved canning liquid, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, salt and olive oil. Process for several minutes until smooth and creamy.
The hummus should be smooth and creamy, but still hold its shape; stir in more liquid if it's too thick.
Taste and add more lemon and seasoning if desired.
Transfer mixture to a serving dish.
Use a spoon to make a shallow well in the center.
Drizzle olive oil in the well, and sprinkle with paprika.
Serve at room temperature.