Celiac.com 01/17/2017 - Rich, juicy, earthy beets pair beautifully with silky sweet potatoes in this simple, satisfying dish that is perfect for the fall table.
- 3 medium red beets, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 medium golden beets, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- lemon juice, for serving, as desired
Heat oven to 400F (200C).
In a bowl, toss the beet chunks with ½ tablespoon olive oil until coated.
Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and sugar in a large resealable plastic bag.
Place the sweet potatoes and onion in the bag.
Seal bag, and shake to coat vegetables with the oil mixture.
Bake beets 15 minutes.
Place sweet potato mixture on the baking sheet, with the beets.
Keep baking another 45 minutes or so, stirring halfway through, until all vegetables are tender.