Celiac.com 06/05/2018 - It’s never a bad idea to have a great fresh salsa recipe on hand as summer approaches. This happy salsa blends roasted tomatillos, yellow mangos pineapple, and onion with fresh fruit and a dash of jalepeño for a tasty salsa treat.
- Two 8-ounce yellow Ataulfo mangoes, seeded, peeled and chopped—about 2 cups
- 10-12 medium tomatillos (10 ounces total), husked, rinsed and finely chopped—about 1½-2 cups
- 10-12 ounces fresh pineapple chunks, peeled, cored and chopped—about 2 cups (larger chunks okay for roasting, smaller for adding later)
- ½ medium red onion, halved, diced small
- 1 small or ½ large jalapeño or Serrano pepper, stemmed, seeded
- Small handful cilantro
- Juice of 2-3 fresh limes, more as needed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or more as needed
In a cast iron skillet or pan, roast 8-10 tomatillos, pineapple chunks, jalapeño and 2 onion halves.
Combine about 1 cup of mango, roasted tomatillos, roasted pineapple, 1 red onion half, pepper, cilantro, lime juice and salt in blender and purée until smooth.
Pour into a large bowl, and add remaining chunks of fresh mango, pineapple, and tomatillo, along with the diced onion.
Adjust flavor with additional ingredients or salt, as needed.
Serve with tortilla chips and guacamole, as desired.