Sarcoidosis is the disease; and sarcoid of the lungs is a location affected by the disease. According to a report by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Public Health Service National Institutes of Health: Sarcoidosis is a disease due to inflammation. It can appear in almost any body organ, but most often starts in the lungs or lymph nodes. As sarcoidosis progresses small lumps, or granulomas appear in the affected tissues. Symptoms are usually general. Weight loss, fatigue, night sweats, fever, or just an overall feeling of ill health. In some cases it shows up with the appearance of skin rashes. red bumps on the face, arms, shins, ect., and sometimes inflammation of the eyes.
From Ron Hoggan:
Sarcoidosis has repeatedly been associated with celiac disease. Some researchers seem to view it as a condition which results from untreated celiac disease, while others see it as coincident with celiac disease. Here are a couple of references you might want to look at:
- Douglas, et. al. Sarcoidosis and Celiac Disease: An Association? Lancet, 1984; July 7:13-15
- Karlish Celiac Disease and Diffuse Lung Disease Lancet, 1971; May 22: 1077
A Medline search might reveal more information to you, and I would suggest that you satisfy yourself of the connection. In #1, it says, in part: These cases suggest there may be an association between celiac disease and sarcoidosis, but formal studies of small bowel function in sarcoidosis are needed to confirm this. It is important to recognize that these two conditions can occur together and that unexplained weight loss in a patient with sarcoidosis may be caused by celiac disease. You might consider suggesting that your friend get a full panel of blood tests for celiac disease, as it is usually a very treatable condition. And I have been pleasantly surprised by the resolution of other, apparently unrelated health problems, that have cleared up on the diet since I was diagnosed. I hope she is similarly surprised.
- Reunala T, et al. [see Related Articles] Diseases associated with dermatitis herpetiformis. Br J Dermatol. 1997 Mar; 136(3): 315-318. PMID: 9115907; UI: 97247319.
- Papadopoulos KI, et al. [see Related Articles] The occurrence of polyglandular autoimmune syndrome type III associated with celiac disease in patients with sarcoidosis. J Intern Med. 1994 Dec; 236(6): 661-663. PMID: 7989901; UI: 95081757.
- Bianconcini G, et al. [see Related Articles] [Celiac disease (familial) associated with sarcoidosis. Clinical case and review of the literature]. Minerva Med. 1994 Oct; 85(10): 541-553. Review. Italian. PMID: 7800197; UI: 95098301.
- Boruchowicz A, et al. [see Related Articles] [sarcoidosis and the digestive tract]. Gastroenterol Clin Biol. 1994; 18(12): 1119-1128. Review. French. No abstract available. PMID: 7750685; UI: 95269922.
- Riccabona M, et al. [see Related Articles] Sonographic findings in celiac disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1993 Aug; 17(2): 198-200. PMID: 8229548; UI: 94046289.
- Papadopoulos KI, et al. [see Related Articles] Polyglandular autoimmune syndrome type III associated with celiac disease and sarcoidosis. Postgrad Med J. 1993 Jan; 69(807): 72-75. PMID: 8446560; UI: 93189522.
- Mainguet P, et al. [see Related Articles] [Celiac disease in adults: clinical aspects--role of endoscopy]. Acta Gastroenterol Belg. 1992 Mar; 55(2): 181-189. Review. French. PMID: 1632135; UI: 92336640.
- Sorokin R, et al. [see Related Articles] Diarrhea presenting as a rare manifestation of sarcoid. Am J Gastroenterol. 1990 Sep; 85(9): 1197-1198. No abstract available. PMID: 2389733; UI: 90358167.
- Rogers P, et al. [see Related Articles] Antibodies to Proteus in rheumatoid arthritis. Br J Rheumatol. 1988; 27 Suppl 2: 90-94. PMID: 3042079; UI: 88294497.
- James DG, et al. [see Related Articles] Overlap syndromes with sarcoidosis. Postgrad Med J. 1985 Sep; 61(719): 769-771. Review. No abstract available. PMID: 3903708; UI: 86042375.
- James DG, et al. [see Related Articles] Overlap syndromes with sarcoidosis. Sarcoidosis. 1985 Sep; 2(2): 116-121. PMID: 3843140; UI: 87177134.
- Lowe G, et al. [see Related Articles] Sarcoidosis and celiac disease. Lancet. 1984 Sep 15; 2(8403): 637. No abstract available. PMID: 6147667; UI: 84294457.
- [No authors listed] [see Related Articles] Sarcoidosis and celiac disease. Lancet. 1984 Aug 18; 2(8399): 408. No abstract available. PMID: 6147488; UI: 84294274.
- Douglas JG, et al. [see Related Articles] Sarcoidosis and celiac disease: an association? Lancet. 1984 Jul 7; 2(8393): 13-15. PMID: 6145934; UI: 84244768.
- Vilaseca J, et al. [see Related Articles] [Granulomatous hepatitis. Etiologic study of 107 cases]. Med Clin (Barc). 1979 Apr 10; 72(7): 272-275. Spanish. PMID: 459594; UI: 79220138.
- Hurley TH, et al. [see Related Articles] Reaction to Kveim test material in sarcoidosis and other diseases. Lancet. 1975 Mar 1; 1(7905): 494-496. PMID: 46962; UI: 75117906.
- Ewe K. [see Related Articles] [Calcium absorption in health and disease. II. Syndromes of imparied calcium absorption]. Klin Wochenschr. 1974 Jan 15; 52(2): 64-73. Review. German. No abstract available. PMID: 4361437; UI: 74122902.
- Mornet P, et al. [see Related Articles] [A case of peripheral neuropathy during terminal ileitis. Crohns disease]? Sem Hop. 1973 Jun 26; 49(30): 2209-2218. French. No abstract available. PMID: 4147181; UI: 73252730.
- Karlish AJ, et al. [see Related Articles] The Kveim test in Crohns disease, ulcerative colitis, and celiac disease. Lancet. 1972 Feb 19; 1(7747): 438-439. No abstract available. PMID: 4110670; UI: 72118038.
- MacGregor GA. [see Related Articles] Inhibition of leucocyte migration in celiac disease. Lancet. 1971 Dec 25; 2(7739): 1431. No abstract available. PMID: 4107620; UI: 72042982.
- Pagaltsos AS, et al. [see Related Articles] In vitro inhibition of leucocyte migration by sarcoid spleen suspension in celiac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis. Lancet. 1971 Nov 27; 2(7735): 1179-1181. No abstract available. PMID: 4107984; UI: 72052439.
- Karlish AJ. [see Related Articles] Celiac disease and diffuse lung disease. Lancet. 1971 May 22; 1(7708): 1077. No abstract available. PMID: 4103011; UI: 71206245.
- Dawson AM. [see Related Articles] Nutritional disturbances in Crohns disease. Proc R Soc Med. 1971 Feb; 64(2): 166-170. No abstract available. PMID: 5548941; UI: 71139887.
- Hill LE. [see Related Articles] Hypogammaglobulinaemia in the United Kingdom. 3. Clinical features of hypogammaglobulinaemia. Med Res Counc Spec Rep Ser (Lond). 1971; 310: 9-34. No abstract available. PMID: 5573491; UI: 71183306.
- Levinson JD, et al. [see Related Articles] Infiltrative diseases of the small bowel and malabsorption. Am J Dig Dis. 1970 Aug; 15(8): 741-766. Review. No abstract available. PMID: 4195473; UI: 70283039.
- Sjaastad O. [see Related Articles] Urinary excretion of free and conjugated histamine in various gastrointestinal disorders. Acta Med Scand. 1969 Jun; 185(6): 495-499. No abstract available. PMID: 4185319; UI: 69281390.
- Pirola RC, et al. [see Related Articles] Whipples disease. Med J Aust. 1967 Nov 25; 2(22): 985-988. No abstract available. PMID: 4170086; UI: 68128282.
- Smith BD. [see Related Articles] Sarcoidosis with recurrent thrombophlebitis and idiopathic steatorrhoea. Proc R Soc Med. 1966 Jun; 59(6): 569-570. No abstract available. PMID: 5937945; UI: 66143622.