So often I hear people asking how to make their own healthy, gluten-free snacks. The following nut cracker recipe is easy, inexpensive, and yes it's also healthy. Feel free to substitute the nuts and seeds listed below for other nuts or seeds of your preference. I always like to soak my nuts before using them; soaked nuts are much easier to digest.
Crunchy Nut CrackersServing Size: Makes around 30-40 (depending on how the size of cracker you make.)
- 2 cups mixed nuts of your choice: (cashew, almonds, pumpkin seeds and flax seeds work well)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp filtered water
- 1 1/8 tsp Himalayan salt
- Preheat the oven at 360°F (180°C).
- Line two baking sheets with parchment papers.
- Grind nuts into a flour consistency in a blender or food processor (food processor usually works best).
- Add egg, water and sea salt and stir around with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together in a quite stiff dough.
- Divide the dough into two and place them directly on the parchment papers.
- Roll them out to two rectangles, about 0-1 inches thick. If the dough sticks to the rolling pin you could roll it with parchment paper covering the dough. Use a knife to cut them in slices or squares.
- Spray some water on them and top with the seeds.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.