Celiac.com 03/24/2016 - Good black bean soup is a tasty treat on a rainy day. Since we've had a few rainy days lately, I recommend this recipe for a smoky, spicy, flavor-packed southwestern-style vegetarian black bean soup that is a perfect hearty pick for cold, blustery days.
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can refried black beans
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried epazote (aka Mexican tea), chopped
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup refrigerated fresh salsa
- ¼ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- fresh cilantro
- kosher salt
Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and green pepper, season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in the chipotle and adobo.
Stir in the beans, refried beans, epazote, and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Divide the soup into bowls, and top with the avocado, salsa, sour cream, and cilantro, if desired.