Celiac.com 08/30/2016 - A good bean dip can really anchor down the snack table at a gathering. Paired with good chips and good salsa, a good bean dip will leave your guests satisfied for a very modest price. This is a good bean dip. It pairs great with your favorite slasa and gluten-free beer.
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans traditional refried beans ( I use Goya brand)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Sri Racha hot sauce
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a small saucepan.
Add the onions, garlic and jalapeño pepper and cook about ten minutes, stirring occasionally, until very soft. Do not brown.
Transfer the cooked onion mixture to a blender or food processor and add the beans, salt, cumin, lime juice, Sri Racha hot sauce, water and about half of the chopped cilantro, reserving the rest for garnish.
Blend until smooth, stopping and stirring as needed. Dip should be not too thick, not too thin.
If too thick, make dip thinner by adding a splash of lime juice or water, and blend to desired consistency.
Serve room temperature with tortilla chips and salsa.