The following gluten-free carrot cake recipe is truly a traditional cake. Full of some of the most common allergens like, dairy, eggs and nuts. I tend to experiment with new recipes by replacing ingredients I can't tolerate, with ingredients I can. For example, many recipes allow you to substitute eggs with applesauce. The nuts can be left out-for those allergic to nuts, and the cream cheese can be substituted for dairy-free cream cheese. When substituting however, ratios will be different and it is a good idea to know what ratio of applesauce (for example) equals 4 eggs. Ratio quantities will also greatly depend on your taste buds, but if this recipe is okay for your diet, dig in and enjoy!
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 cup pecans - toasted and finely chopped
- 2 ½ cups carrots - finely grated
2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 2/3 tsp. salt - finely ground
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 4 large eggs - room temp
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter - room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese - room temp
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 lemon - finely grated lemon zest only
- Start by toasting the pecans in the oven at 350 degree F for 6-8 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow to cool and chop finely. Next, finely shred 2 ½ cups of carrots. Finally, combine the gluten-free flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl, set aside.
- Beat the 4 eggs on medium speed for about 1 minute, reduce the speed and slowly pour in the granulated sugar. Once the sugar and eggs are combined (about 3-4 minutes) slowly pour in the oil and vanilla. Next, add the flour mixture and beat just until combined. Finally, use a spatula to fold in the carrots and toasted pecans.
- Divide the batter between two well greased 9 inch round cake pans. Bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack.
- Divide batter between 2 well greased 9 inch round cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack.
* Note: This cake can also be made into a single layer 9x13 cake, simply increase baking time to 30-40 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, beat together the butter and cream cheese.
- Next, add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest. Beat until thoroughly combined.
- Place one layer of cake on a platter, spread an even layer of frosting on top of the cake.
- Add the second layer of cake.
- Use the remaining frosting to cover the top and sides of the cake.
Use remaining or extra pecans to decorate the outside of the cake.