Do You Have Celiac Disease and Have Questions Or Need Help?
Join Celiac.com's forum / message board and get your questions answered! Our forum has nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS just waiting to help you with any questions about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. We'll see you there!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes: Pastries, Cakes, Cookies, etc.
- Gluten-Free Pie & Pie Crust Recipes
- Strawberry Pavlova (Gluten-Free)
Strawberry Pavlova (Gluten-Free)
I diagnosed myself for gluten intolerance after a lifetime of bizarre, seemingly unrelated afflictions. If my doctors had their way, I would have already undergone neck surgery, still be on 3 different inhalers for asthma, be vomiting daily and having chronic panic attacks. However, since eliminating gluten from my diet in May 2009, I no longer suffer from any of those things. Even with the proof in the pudding (or gluten) my doctors now want me to ingest gluten to test for celiac-no can do.View all articles by Destiny Stone
Gluten-Free Pavlova (photo courtesy of imcountingufoz)
Pavlova is a dessert with a meringue base that was created in honor of the ballet dancer Anna Pavlova when she was touring in New Zealand and Australia. The main ingredient that separates pavlova from a normal meringue, is the addition of cornstarch and vinegar to the egg white mixture. The cornstarch, egg and vinegar creates a chemical reaction which results in a fluffy, marshmallow center.
Strawberry Pavlova Cupcakes (Gluten-Free)
- 1 cup fresh (organic) strawberries, cut in bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature (they will separate easier if they are cold)
- 1 cup superfine or regular sugar
- 1 2/3 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 F degrees. Mix strawberry pieces with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Set aside. Place 12 muffin liners in a muffin tin, set aside.
- In a the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or in a medium bowl with a hand-held mixer), whisk eggs until stiff peaks form. With mixer still on high, gradually add in one cup of superfine sugar, about a tablespoon at a time. Keep whisking until egg whites are stiff and glossy. Mix in 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and whisk until just combined. Whisk vinegar and cornstarch into the mixer and whisk until just combined.
- Spoon meringue mixture into prepared muffin liners until mixture just overflows the top of the liners. Use the back of a spoon to fluff out the meringue to create smooth little peaks. Or you can simply use a standard sized ice cream scoop to fill the liners, which also looks pretty.
- Reduce oven temperature to 220 degrees, and bake for one hour. Turn off oven and allow to cool completely as the oven cools.
- Whip cream together with confectioner’s sugar and 2/3 teaspoon of vanilla until soft peaks form. Gently cut the tops off the cupcakes and fill with a dollop of whipped cream and a spoonful of strawberries.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Apple Pumpkin Strudel (Gluten-Free)
Here's a fun n' tasty Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free recipe for Apple
Pumpkin Strudel that is quite unique from your traditional apple pie or
apple crumble.... [READ MORE]
Pop Tarts (Gluten-Free)
Two pie crusts:
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ¾ cup white rice flour
¼ cup garfava bean flour
¾ cup +2 tablespoons gluten-free margarine
Cut margarine into flour mixture with a pastry blender until well
blended.... [READ MORE]
Pie Crust #4 (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from Martha Spinelle.... [READ MORE]
Pie Crust #3 (Gluten-Free)
1 ¼ cup rice
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup solid shortening (in mine, I included about 1 T.... [READ MORE]